International Groups and Contact Persons
We would be happy to list your international student group or association here. If you wish to be included on the list, please contact the International Office, Ms Kühnle: Email email@example.com or Tel. +49 (0)761 203-4267.
You will be listed as an officially registered international student group in the welcome-guide of the International Office and will, among other things, receive the opportunity to book rooms for your events and apply for financial support for your group.
- AFS (American Field Service ) Komitee Freiburg e.V.
- AMO CLUB (Freiburger Forum für Panafrikanismus) - Freiburg Forum for Panafricanism
- Arabisch-Deutscher Kulturverein e.V. Freiburg - Freiburg Arab-German Cultural Association
- Bulgarischer Studierendenverein ‚Prof. Ivan Schischmanov‘, Freiburg - Bulgarian Stundent Organisation ‚Prof. Ivan Schischmanov‘, Freiburg
- BVMD-Austausch Lokalvertretung Freiburg - bvmd-Exchange Local Representation Freiburg
- Deutsch-Rumänische Studienvereinigung (DRStV) - German-Romanian Student Association (DRStV)
- The European Law Students' Association (ELSA)
- Evangelische Chinesische Bibelgruppe Freiburg - Freiburg Protestant Chinese Bible Group
- Evangelische Studierendengemeinde (ESG) - Protestant Student Congregation (ESG)
- Freiburger Nepalesische Gemeinschaft - Freiburger Nepalese Association (FNA)
- Freundeskreis der Chinesischen Kultur in Freiburg - Friends of Chinese Culture in Freiburg
- Gemeinschaft für studentischen Austausch in Mittel- und Osteuropa e.V. - Union for Student Exchange in Central and Eastern Europe (GFPS e.V.)
- Go-Verein Freiburg (Baduk, Weiqi) - "BADUK"-WeiQi-Go-Club Freiburg
- GRUPAL Gruppe lateinamerikanscher Studenten - GRUPAL Latin American Student Group
- HAIK - Deutsch-Armenischer Studentenclub - HAIK - German-Armenian Students Club
- Lokalkomitee IAESTE LC Freiburg - Local Committee IAESTE LC Freiburg
- IFSA LC (Lokalkomitee) Freiburg - IFSA LC (Local Committee) Freiburg
- Internationale Christengemeinde Freiburg e.V. - Christian Family International Church
- Islamischer Studierendenverein - Islamic Students Organization
- Japanischer Kulturverein - KODOMOKAI - Japanese Cultural Club -KODOMOKAI
- Kamerunische Gemeinschaft in Freiburg und Umgebung e.V. - Association of Cameroonians in and around Freiburg e.V.
- Katholische Afrikanische Gemeinde (KAG) - Catholic African Church Group (KAG)
- Katholische Hochschulgemeinde (KHG)- Edith Stein - Catholic University Congregation (KHG) - Edith Stein
- KHORUMI–Verein der Georgischen Studierenden in Frei-burg i.B. - KHORUMI–Verein der Georgischen Studierenden in Frei-burg i.B.
- Klimaschutz+ Studenteninitiative Freiburg - Students‘ Initiative Climate Protection+ Freiburg
- Koreanisch-Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde - Korean-German Protestant Congregation
- Koreanischer Studierendenverein Freiburg - Freiburg Korean Student Organization
- KulTurk – Freiburger Kulturverein türkischer Studierender e.V. - Turkish Student Club Freiburg
- Luxemburger Studierendenverein Freiburg (SLUF) - Freiburg Luxemburg Student Organization (S.L.U.F.)
- Persische Studierenden-Kulturverein Freiburg (PSKV) - Persian Student Cultural Association of Freiburg (PSKV)
- Populäre-Philosophie-Verein e.V. Freiburg (PPV) - Populäre-Philosophie-Association e.V. Freiburg (PPV)
- Regional Chapter - Scholarship holders of the Baden-Württemberg Foundation
- Studenten für Christus - Students for Christ
- Studentenmission in Deutschland (SMD) - Student Mission in Germany (SMD)
- Verband der chinesischen Wissenschaftler und Studierenden (VCWS) in Freiburg e.V. - Association of Chinese Scholars and Students in Freiburg
- Verein der mongolischen Studierenden und Wissenschaftler in Freiburg - Association of Mongolian Students and Scholars in Freiburg
International student groups
AFS (American Field Service ) Komitee Freiburg e.V.
AFS (American Field Service ) Committee Freiburg
The AFS Committee Freiburg is part of the American Field Service. AFS has its origins in the American medical services during the World War II. It is a worldwide organization for youth exchange, volunteer service, and intercultural learning. In Germany, it is a non-profit organization that is primarily supported by the dedication of over 3000 volunteers. The AFS Freiburg members are volunteers, too; many participated in the student exchange program or voluntary civil service and are now locally involved in one of the AFS programs. Would you be interested in joining us?
- to provide support for international students
- to provide training in intercultural theory
- to facilitate communication and contact between international and German students.
- to help new students integrate into the AFS community.
Everyone is welcome to simply come by and see firsthand what AFS is about. There are opportunities to help with our school exchange, and in addition to regular meetings we organize other activities for students. If you’re new here in Freiburg, we are here to help you with any problems, or to provide assistance during your exchange in Freiburg.
If you’re interested in finding out more, simply come to one of our events. Check out our homepage for upcoming events!
We look forward to meeting you!
Annika Lutz (Coordinator)
Jule Rehm (Student contact)
AMO CLUB (Freiburger Forum für Panafricanismus)
AMO CLUB (Freiburg Forum for Panafricanism)
Moderator: Dr. André Nguemning
Phone: +49 (0) 178 4954150
Please send possible topics for discussion on Panafricanism to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meeting point according to arrangement.
Arabisch-Deutscher Kulturverein e.V. Freiburg
Freiburg Arab-German Cultural Association
The Arab-German Cultural Association is a forum for Arabs and Germans who are interested in Arab culture. We organize cultural, artistic, and social programs and projects in order to bring Arabs and Germans in Freiburg and the region together and promote direct exchange between them. The important thing about our activities is not just the outcome, but also the cooperation itself.
- to encourage and intensify contact and exchange between Arabs and Germans.
- to present the great diversity of Arab culture in Germany.
- to bring Arabs and Germans together to cooperate on cultural, artistic, and social programs.
Moustafa El Kady
Tel.: +49 (0)761 7043260
Handy: +49 (0)160 8742714
Bulgarischer Studierendenverein ‚Prof. Ivan Schischmanov‘, Freiburg
Bulgarian Stundent Organisation ‚Prof. Ivan Schischmanov‘, Freiburg
Our little club was founded in 2016 by eight Bulgarian students in Freiburg who wanted to give other Bulgarians in the university (and not only) the chance to get to know each other, exchange information, help each other and have good time together. Our goals are not only to help the new ones find their way in the new environment, but also to promote the Bulgarian culture and customs among the Germans and the other foreigners. In order to do that we organize different events and workshops like:
- Introduction and guidance for the freshmen
- Bulgarian national dances course
- Movie nights
We would love you to join us!
Facebook: BSV "Prof. Ivan Schischmanov" Freiburg
bvmd-Austausch Lokalvertretung Freiburg
für Studierende der Medizin
bvmd-Exchange Local Representation Freiburg
for medicine students
We help to arrange placements for clinical traineeships and other projects abroad (e.g. public health, research exchange), assist with the application for contributions to travel costs and provide on site supervision for international students.
Office hours: one month before application deadline every Tuesday 12:15pm to 1.00pm during the semester
Deutsch-Rumänische Studienvereinigung (DRStV)
German-Romanian Student Association (DRStV)
Societatea Mihai Eminescu
Dr. Elsa Lüder
c/o Romanisches Seminar
Tel.: +49 (0) 761 203-3206 or +49 (0)761 285-3540
The European Law Students' Association (ELSA)
With 38,000 members ELSA is the world's largest independent law stu-dents' association. ELSA provides opportunities for international exchange, diversified legal education and personal professional development for law students and young lawyers. Our members are law students and recent graduates who have an academic focus and have demonstrated commitment to international issues.
ELSA operates primarily through its Local Groups, which are located at nearly 300 law faculties in universities throughout 41 countries in Europe.
As a part of this unique network ELSA-Freiburg offers you:
- Seminars and Conferences
- simulated trial (Moot Courts)
- Study Visits
- Excursions to BGH, EGMR, BVerfG, JVA
- Visiting Law-firms (L@w Events)
- Students trainee exchange programme (STEP)
- Partys and a cottageweekend
We meet every second Wednesday. Write us an email and come round.
c/o Dekanat der Rechtswissenschaftlichen Fakultät der Universität Freiburg
Platz der Alten Synagoge 1
President: Till Gawlyta, E-mail: email@example.com
Secretary General: Nele Mahlstedt, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Luca Lowsky, E-mail: email@example.com
More information at the ELSA-board in front of the law-library (seminar) or on http://www.elsa-freiburg.de
Evangelische Chinesische Bibelgruppe Freiburg
Freiburg Protestant Chinese Bible Group
We are a Chinese-speaking Protestant group which meets to read from the Bible, speak about the text, and celebrate a worship service on Sundays. Afterwards, we sing and chat and amuse ourselves.
Our meetings take place on:
Fridays at 7.00 p.m. and Sundays at 11.00 a.m. at Breisacher Tor, Rempartstraße 4, 2.floor, room 206
We have again planned a welcoming party for the coming two semesters on May 13th and October 21st, 2016. You are warmly invited. For more information, please contact us.
Dr. Weihong Peng
Tel.: +49 (0)761 3846268
Handy: +49 (0) 176 95847235
Evangelische Studierendengemeinde (ESG)
Protestant Student Congregation (ESG)
ESG is member of WSCF (world Christian student federation)
“The protestant christian Student congregation ESG is church at the Freiburg Universities. She lives in the spirit of respect for every living, in the spirit of dialogue and tolerance. Justice, peace and the preservation of creation are basic in the life of our community.”
We hold a worship service or a prayer every Wednesday evening during the semester. Our meetings on Wednesday evenings provide a forum for discussions, ideas lectures and meetings at the bar. On Thursday we also meet for other activities, such as Taizé prayer, bible sharing etc. We have a good choir, a brass band, and other groups and activities (look at: www.esg-fr.de).
Maybe you already have a few questions you’d like to ask? Then just stop by at the ESG and say hello. We are looking forward to meet you! See you soon!
Student Pastor / university chaplain:
Pfarrerin Wiebke Dornauer
Office: Dagmar Müller, firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +49 (0)761 74144
Principle office hours:
on Mondays 14 - 16 p.m.; on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays 9 - 12 a.m.
Assistent: Cäcilia Flamm, email@example.com, Tel.: +49 (0)761 74144
Coordination and organization of ESG activities, room assignment, public relations work, consultation
Welcome to our meetings:
Protestant student church service or prayer: Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. (see: www.esg-fr.de)
ESG Forum: Wednesdays 8:00 p.m. (for more details and more activities see: www.esg-fr.de)
The red rooster is the symbol of our community ans stands for watchfulness and rebellion.
Freiburger Nepalesische Gemeinschaft e.V.
Freiburger Nepalese Association (FNA)
The Freiburger Nepalese Association / Freiburger Nepalesische Gemeinschaft (FNA) was established in 2010 by the Nepalese students, families and residents living in Freiburg. Everyone can become a member. Anyone who is interested in our work is very welcome to join our association.
Objectives of our association are:
- To promote education in rural areas of Nepal.
- To build up a Nepalese community in Freiburg.
- To award scholarships for the promotion of education in Nepal by funding children, who are strongly motivated to study but are unable to afford their education.
- To promote Nepalese culture in Freiburg by performing various cultural activities, screening documentary films etc.
- To build up a Nepalese community in Freiburg.
- To guide new Nepalese students at the University of Freiburg and to counsel visitors travelling Nepal.
Although FNA is still in its infancy, FNA members are working very hard to achieve the association’s objectives. The members are voluntarily providing monthly contributions. Along with the members, we have generous support from many Nepalese and foreign well-wishers working in different fields. We also assure that all the financial contributions made to this noble cause will be spend in the area (educational) which fulfils our objective. So far, following activities have been successfully performed:
- Together with Himalaya Hilfe e.V. we are collecting donations to renovate and rebuild some of our partner schools that are affected by the recent earthquake.
- 28 Nepalese children from rural Nepal are being provided with FNA scholarships. In 2014, 18 students in Nepal were supported for their school education. We have planned to support more students from the academic year 2015.
- The Rotary Club of Delft, the Netherlands provided support that worth 10 new scholarship.
- Cooperation with Himalaya Hilfe Freiburg e.V. in the new project entitled 'Solar lighting systems for 100 schools in rural Nepal' is currently in its first phase. The project aims to install photovoltaic systems in schools that are not connected to the local/national electricity grid. The electricity generated by the PV systems is the lifeline for the schools in order to start computer courses for the pupils studying there. Moreover, the project also aims to introduce and increase social acceptance of solar lighting systems in the rural areas of Nepal, to reduce exposure of children to toxic petroleum lights, and to provide extended hours of study time in the evening. In the first phase of the project, PV systems are currently being installed in 14 schools that are located in rural parts of Nepal. This first phase of the project has already been successfully completed. With this success, we are planning to support more schools for installations of PV systems.
- Interested people from the Melanchthongemeinde Freiburg-Haslach were informed about Nepal through presentations in October 2013.
- ‘Nepalese Food Festival’ was successfully organized at Stusie Bar, Sundgauallee in 2012 and 2013.
- ‘Komm mit Nach Nepal’ was successfully organized at Mensabar, Rempartstr in 2011 and 2012.
- An old age home ‘AamakoGhar’ located in Nepal was provided with some funds for its restoration.
- The indigenous ‘Chepang’ children in Nepal were supported finan-cially to buy school uniforms.
- One of the volunteers from Germany willing to travel Nepal for the purpose of tourism and providing the computer skill to the school children in villages, learned Nepali language from the FNA members.
- FNA members help interested foreigners to learn Nepalese language.
- Together with Kulturverein Kappel e. V., a benefit concert “NAMASTE NEPAL-नमस्ते नेपाल” was successfully organized at Kappel on 29th June 2016.
FNA cordially welcomes everyone for their participation in fulfilling the above objectives. For further queries, please feel free to contact us. Together we can work for a good cause.
Freiburger Nepalese Association e.V
Phone: +49 (0)178 1419903
Freundeskreis der Chinesischen Kultur in Freiburg
Friends of Chinese Culture in Freiburg
“Freiburg Chinese School“
- Do you have children who want to learn Chinese?
- Or do you study Sinology?
- Are you planning to go on vacation in China and want to learn a few words of Chinese before you leave?
- Or are you interested in China and want to get to know the country?
The „Freiburg Chinese School“ is just what you are looking for.
The school program provides our children the opportunity to learn about our culture and language in a friendly atmosphere. Students of Sinology and any other interested persons are also welcome!
We offer Chinese lessons each Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Breisacher Tor Rempartstr.4 Raum 206.
We also celebrate traditional Chinese festivals, organize free-time activities, live our Chinese culture, and are always happy to talk to people about our country. A further goal of our organization is to promote exchange and understanding between cultures.
Saturday from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
at Breisacher Tor, Rempartstr.4, Room 204
- Sep.: 17, 24
- Oct.: 18, 15, 22
- Nov.: 12, 19, 26
- Dec.: 03, 10, 17
- Jan./17: 14, 21, 28
地点: Breisacher Tor, Rempartstr.4, Raum 204
Hofstr. 5a, 79268 Bötzingen
Tel.: +49 (0) 7663 913513
Mobile: +49 (0) 1522 8955 737
Chinese Children course
We teach Chinese with classical methods, such as the hundred-time reading of the talks of Confucius or the chanting of ancient poems.
We welcome everyone who wants to learn more about the methods, or wants to learn Chinese.
When: Sundays 10 am to 6 pm
Where: Breisacher Tor, Rempartstr. 4, Room 104 and Room 107
Gemeinschaft für studentischen Austausch in Mittel- und Osteuropa e.V.
Union for Student Exchange in Central and Eastern Europe (GFPS e.V.)
GFPS is a student organization which is represented in almost all German university towns. Together with our partner associations in Poland (GFPS-Polska) and in the Czech Republic (GFPS-CZ) as well as the Central and Eastern Europe Initiative (InMOE), we organize various projects enabling young people from the three above-mentioned countries and Belarus to make contact with each other and discuss cultural and sociopolitical topics. Current projects include a German-Polish tandem language course, so called “city days”, the “Quadrat” with workshops, and many other events. In addition, GFPS awards semester-long scholarships for Polish, Czech, and Belarusian students, and in return partner associations welcome students from Germany for studies abroad. The activities are sponsored in part by the Foundation for German-Polish Cooperation, the German-Czech Future Fund, the Remembrance and Future Fund, and the Ebelin and Gerd Bucerius ZEIT Foundation. The organization operates under the auspices of Dr. Gesine Schwan.
The Freiburg sections sponsor one scholarship recipient from Poland, the Czech Republic, or Belarus each semester. After holding a series of lectures and organizing a three-part film series along with the AKA film club in winter semester 2010/11, we established small discussion and seminar groups in summer 2011 to discuss topics from our partner countries. During sociable events such as cooking evenings we also create a platform to get in contact with people from or interested in Poland, the Czech Republic or Belarus. All, who are interested, are welcome to participate and contribute their ideas to the group.
Anyone interested in supervising an exchange student or just dropping by to take part in our activities is welcome to do so.
c/o Martin Faber
Go-Verein Freiburg (Baduk, Weiqi)
The rules are ridiculously simple…
…but a lifetime is too short to master the game.
Go is a 4000 year old Chinese board game which is widely known, especially in Asia.
Anyone who likes to play Go (Chinese: Weiqi, Korean: Baduk) is welcome to come to our game evenings or events. Beginners are always welcome too!
- Enigma, Bergiselstraße 34, 79111 Freiburg
200m from station "Innsbrucker Strasse", line 3 (Vauban)
Mondays at 7:00 p.m.
Tel.: +49 (0) 761 4299652
(GRUPAL) Gruppe lateinamerikanischer Studierender der Universität Freiburg
GRUPAL Latin American Student Group
Our goal is to ease the process of integration for Latin American students of the University of Freiburg on the one hand, and to encourage Latin American and German students to exchange their experiences on the other hand. We also endeavor to create room for discussion and exchange concerning Latin America at the university and in the city of Freiburg.
The International Office sends all Latin American students information about our activities during the semester, such as lectures, readings, cultural evenings, film showings, exhibitions, and get-togethers for the purpose of meeting new people and exchanging experiences. If you want us to put you on our mailing list, just write to us at one of the addresses listed here. This is particularly important if you are not from Latin America, as we cannot reach you over the International Office.
Just write us an e-mail so we can let you know what we’re planning! And for those of you who are interested in becoming involved more actively, we are looking for people to help us organize events. So if you want to participate, just contact us and we’ll let you know how you can help.
HAIK - Deutsch-Armenischer Studentenclub
HAIK - German-Armenian Students Club
We are glad to announce that the German-Armenian Students Club HAIK (Deutsch-Armenischer Studentenclub HAIK) is active in Freiburg.
HAIK – Freiburg (Հայկ – ֆրայբոուրգ) gives the opportunity for young Armenians enrolled at Freiburg universities to come into contact with other Diaspora students. Our student club provides a beneficial platform of communication among Armenian students, where previous and new students share their experiences together.
The German-Armenian Student Club HAIK is the mean of cooperation between the Armenian students and other students interested in knowing about the Armenians (culture/history/literature). Haik students are motivated to promote their own culture and have the desire to grasp more of the German culture.
For all the students who are interested in our club, don’t hesitate to contact us.
You can visit our website: http://www.haiknet.de
IAESTE LC (Lokalkomitee) Freiburg
Local Committee IAESTE LC Freiburg
IAESTE Germany provides internships since 1948 for students of natural and technical sciences, agriculture and forestry. The work is based mainly on students volunteering all around the country in local committees. Freiburg has more than 90 sister committees. The program is supported by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service).
Our tasks are to bring some of the more than 1000 yearly exchanged internships to Freiburg, support German students on their way abroad and help incoming students to have a good start. Every year during the summer reception month there is a vital exchange between nationalities, e. g. with the International Dinner, on weekend trips or simply during some bike riding lessons.
This is why you want to get involved with IAESTE Freiburg:
- Meet interesting people from around the world!
- Do an international internship yourself!
- Develop your organizational talent!
- Get to know and understand other cultures!
- Be creative, organize something on your own initiative!
For weekly meeting see our website: www.iaeste-freiburg.de
IFSA LC (Lokalkomitee) Freiburg
IFSA LC (Local Committee) Freiburg
The IFSA (International Forestry Students Association; www.ifsa.net) is a globally active, non-government, non-religious, non-profit association of forestry students. Internationally, there are about 3000 students active in around 80 local committees. Our IFSA LC Freiburg is one of those.
The IFSA exists since 1999 and its international main office is located at our Faculty for Environment and Natural Resources in Freiburg. The IFSA organizes several events about communication and for exchange of experiences between forest and environment students worldwide. Just two examples are the annual SERM (Southern European Regional Meeting) and IFSS (International Forestry Students Symposium). Additionally, the IFSA enjoys having several international partner organizations to work with, such as the IUFRO or the FAO.
In our IFSA LC Freiburg, we currently are about 10 students, both German and international and from different study semesters and programs of our faculty. Besides planning travellings to the upcoming meetings, we organize talks, excursions or other projects on local, national or international scale. It is up to you, what you want to plan!
For getting in contact with us, just visit one of our weekly meetings (have a look at our notice board in the faculty for further information). We are happy to see you!
Internationale Christengemeinde Freiburg
Christian Family International Church
We are an international Christian church. Our official languages are English and German, but we also speak many other languages: from Polish to Arabic, depending on where the people come from. Our pastor is from Ghana. In our church services, we experience God’s word and the joy he gives to us. Our music consists of afro-gospels as well as modern English and German praise&worship songs. We also pray for the sick when there is need.
For students we recommend our group for young adults (please contact the church for further information).
(Christian Family International Church)
Engesserstr.13 (over EXTROL)
Head of Congregation: Pastor Dr. Palmer Appiah-Gyan
Phone: +49 (0)761 453-5698
Fax: +49 (0)761 453-5701
Office hours: Tue-Thu 9-12:30 a.m.
Services: Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. and Sundays at 10:30 a.m.
How to find us: Freiburg North, near “Neue Messe”.
Take tram 4 (direction Messe) till "Technische Fakultät", then follow the road on foot or take bus 10 (direction Zähringen) till "Rothausarena", then walk over the crossroads. The church is located over the "Extrol"- filling station on the right side of the street (enter through glass door at the back of the building).
Islamic Students Organization
The Islamic Student Association is a group of Muslim students and academics. We are open for all students, academics, and scientists who are interested in Eastern culture and would like to learn more about Islam.
Our main goals are:
- Helping new students adjust to life at the university
- Helping to integrate international students at the Albert-Ludwig University and in the City of Freiburg
- Creating an atmosphere congenial to peaceful relations between German and non-German students
- Working together with other associations and institutions
- Offering students opportunities to learn more about Islam
The university provides a prayer room for Muslim students. It is on the ground floor of university building IV (KG IV).
Ali Al Raghban
Handy: +49 (0)152 262 632 55
Japanischer Kulturverein - Kodomokai
Japanese Cultural Club - Kodomokai
Our association welcomes everybody interested in the Japanese language and culture. Everybody is invited to participate in our activities and we also gladly help particularly Japanese international students to orientate themselves living in Germany. Therefore we organize through the year many events and hold activities regularly:
- Cultural activities:
- Twice a month, usually on the 2nd and 4th Saturday, we arrange as many Japan related activities as possible; Like New Year’s celebration, story telling, traditional cards games or plays, summer festival, BBQ party, sports festival, Japanese food cooking and eat, orienteering in the park, calligraphy, tee ceremony, Ikebana or Christmas party. Recurring events we organize in small groups taking place before the get-together time.
- Japanese school:
- Once a week we provide especially children courses with original Japanese textbooks. These age specific classes require native speaker competence, but we also organize introduction groups for others interested in basic Japanese language.
- We practice and sing Japanese songs once a week and sometimes perform on events.
- Japanese Taiko:
- We practice Japanese Taiko (drums) together with a group from Akaishi-Daiko.
Moreover we are cooperating with other groups to do some activities. For example the Japan Day, which is for the charity of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, settled by VHS Freiburg in March. We organize and help in many parts of this event.
We regularly meet at the Internationalen Begegnungszentrum (IBZ), Sundgauallee 60. Feel free to contact us for any questions:
Kamerunische Gemeinschaft in Freiburg und Umgebung (KAVF) e.V.
Cameroonian Association Freiburg and Surroundings (CAAF) e.V.
Association des Camerounais de Fribourg et environs (ACAF) e.V.
We are a non-governmental organization created in 2004 by Cameroonians with the aim of uplifting the Cameroonian culture as well as to facilitate an intercultural exchange between Germany and Cameroon. Despite our independent status we gladly accept grants from the University of Freiburg. As Cameroonian association, we represent pro-Cameroonian viewpoints and interests. Our goal is to work together with other associations and institutions, such as the International Office and the General Student Committee of the University of Freiburg, in order to help Cameroonian students adjust to student life in Freiburg.
A further goal is to provide a forum for interaction between Came-roonians and Germans as well as to give firsthand experience of the multifaceted culture of Cameroon. We thus organize academic and cultural lectures on current topics and a wide range of events and projects, including football games, excursions, exhibitions with Came-roonian art, cultural evenings, etc.
We meet once a month (penultimate Saturday of the Month), usually at IBZ in Sundgauallee 60, Freiburg.
Facebook: acaf.camerounais de Freiburg
LinkedIn: Freiburg Communauté
Dropbox: ACAF Freiburg
Katholische Afrikanische Gemeinde (KAG)
Catholic African Church Group (KAG)
Who are we?
A dynamic group of young African and German students, Africans from the diaspora, mostly from West Africa, and friends of Africa from around the world.
What do we do?
- African worship services
- (a taste of Africa in Germany)
- spend time together, exchange experiences, and praise the Lord together
- African choir
- days of reflection and excursions
Where do we meet?
Every last Saturday of the month at 8 p.m. we hold a workship service in French, German, and English at St. Albert-Bischofslinde, Sundgauallee 9. (take tram line 1 toward “Landwasser”; get off at “Am Bischofskreuz”)
Our African choir “Les Mulilos” provides musical accompaniment at the worship services, embellishing them with song and lively rhythms. Afterwards, we all eat together (usually African cuisine)!
No matter what your nationality, religion, or age is, you’re welcome to join us!
Let us come together and praise The Lord!!!
Our choir practices each Friday at 7:15 p.m. at the Catholic Univeristy Church (KHG), small hall, Lorettostaße 24. Anyone who enjoys singing is invited to join!
Sossah Viwanou (Togo)
Phone: +49 (0)176 71948008
Ange Verlaine Nya (Kamerun)
Phone: +49 (0)176 76863942
Sossah Viwanou (Togo)
Phone: +49 (0)176 71948008
Katholische Hochschulgemeinde (KHG) – Edith Stein
Catholic University Congregation (KHG) - Edith Stein
- invites you to embrace church and faith
- is a place of mutual respect and values
- promotes personal development
- addresses social questions, brings various beliefs and denominations to dialogue
- supports people with solidarity – especially in crisis situations and emergencies
Kath. Hochschulgemeinde Edith Stein
Phone: +49 (0) 761 70529-0; Fax: +49 (0) 761 70529-100
Office hours: Mondays - Thursdays 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Fridays 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
P. Sebastian Tönnesen OP
Phone: +49 (0)761 70529-102
Office hours: On appointment
Phone: +49 (0)761 70529-120, firstname.lastname@example.org
Term-opening events, Programme planning, religion affairs.
Office hours on appointment.
Social welfare officer:
Phone: + 49 (0) 761 70529-104, email@example.com
International Students, counseling in social and personal emergencies.
Office hours on appointment.
Tel. +49 (0)761 70529-106, firstname.lastname@example.org
Term-opening events, international students.
Office hours on appointment.
Services: Sundays 7:00 p.m. at the University Church, Bertoldstraße
KHG-Evening: every Wednesday during the semester, worship at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner and programme.
KHORUMI – Verein der Georgischen Studierenden in Frei-burg i.B.
KHORUMI - Georgian Students Club in Freiburg i.B.
Members in the group “KHORUMI“ are Georgian students, their families, Georgian Artists like folk dancers, singers, and painters, live in Freiburg or surrounding areas of Freiburg.
They are interested in having a cultural learning exchange between Ger-many and Georgia. Topics include: Christianity in Georgia, Georgian Culture, traditions of Georgia, and its diverse cuisine.
Membership is free, but donations are welcome. This is an open group to all who may wish to join.
Facebook: „KHORUMI“-Verein der Georgischen Studierenden in Frei-burg i.B.
Klimaschutz+ Studenteninitiative Freiburg
Students‘ Initiative Climate Protection+ Freiburg
We are part of the bigger German organisation “Klimaschutz+ e.V.” - or “K+” in short - which promotes the three goals
- climate protection
- global poverty reduction
- international peacekeeping and disarmament.
Therefore, active climate protection by investments in renewable energies such as solar plants is tied to commitment to the UN Millenium Goals and international non-profit projects. Thus the “Klimaschutz+” foundation already connected four solar plants to the grid and supported numerous international non-profit projects with the plants’ yield.
In Freiburg, we support the three goals by collecting money through bake sales, flea markets, parties and the like. Besides we also want to bring climate change, sustainability and energy efficiency to public debate and organize lectures, movie nights and field trips on these topics. The money we raise during all our activities is donated to the “Initiative Schlüsselmensch e.V.” which brings together a mentor (often students) and a teen/child living in Freiburg as a refugee.
More information about the initiative here:
We also seek to create a platform for international discussion and ex-change of know-how on climate protection, since climate protection doesn’t stop at borders. How does your home country protect the climate? Which additional actions are necessary across borders? Come talk with us about it and let’s learn together how climate protection is done in Germany in general and in our lovely region in particular!
We want to educate ourselves, discuss and network concerning the topics energy transition and climate protection and have a lot of fun during our meetings. “Once the job has been done” and after lively discussion we often go to a pub or party together.
During lecture period, we meet every first Wednesday a month at 8 pm at the Herderbau’s “FörsterCafé” (Tennenbacher Str. 4, first floor). Further information on the group’s meetings and activities are announced via mailing list or Facebook. Just send a mail to email@example.com and you won’t miss any K+ news.
Sarah Berberich, Henriette Tripke, Tim Winter and all active members
E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org (sign up for our newsletter!)
www.klimaschutzplus.org (official website oft the K+ foundation. Our group is listed as „Stiftungstopf“)
Koreanisch-Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde
Korean-German Protestant Congregation
Every Sunday we celebrate a Korean-German Protestant service in the Methodistic church, Katharinenstr. 9, at 1 p.m. Afterwards we organize a Korean meal together.
This event is a great chance, especially for students, to contact other Koreans but also Germans. As the service is in Korean and German, students from Korea can improve their German. Germans of course can learn Korean.
In addition we offer a German Bible class in the Methodistic church every Friday at 6 p.m. by Minister Gall at the Schonauerweg 3
Phone: +49 (0)761 51461327
Mobile: +49 (0)171 6806293
Koreanischer Studierendenverein Freiburg
Freiburg Korean Student Organization
Our organization plays an important role in helping Korean students to adjust themselves to the life and to achieve their aims in Freiburg.
In order to accomplish our purpose, we provide regularly Korean stu-dents with useful and various programs such as scientific seminars, field trip, grill party, music concert and flea market.
Especially our club is interested in cooperating with other associations and institutions in Freiburg as well as in the surrounding area and actively interacts with them.
Information about our club is described in more detail on the webpage and Facebook. If you wish to contact us, please send an email.
Phone: +49 (0)176 2839 2723
Phone: +49 (0)176 6571 8368
KulTurk – Freiburger Kulturverein türkischer Studierender e.V.
Turkish Student Club Freiburg
The KulTurk was founded in 2011 and is independent club run by and for students.
Our aims are:
- First and foremost, to offer Turkish students help with adapting to uni-life (language courses, looking for an apartment, general life in Freiburg)
- To give all students, regardless of where they are from, the chance to learn about and experience the diverse Turkish culture in an authentic way (Turkish evenings, film evenings, cooking together)
- To support education, science and research for the benefit of society in Germany (lectures)
- To promote harmonious cooperation between students of various of origins, independent of their religion or denomination (excursions)
- To be engaged for the interests of Turkish students in Freiburg and to represent these interests at German and Turkish institutions as well as in public (tutoring projects, cooperation with other clubs)
- To support solidarity and willingness to help between the members (monthly meetings and other joint activities)
Our meetings take place regularly. (Information per Email / Facebook) It would be great, if you join us there! See you soon!
Send us an email and you get all our news and programs!
Sedanur Tasdemir / Cem Uran
and follow us on Facebook: "Freiburger Kulturverein Türkischer Studierender/ Kulturk"
Fastest Team Sport on Two Feet
The Native people of Northeast America are credited for the invention of the game of lacrosse hundreds of years ago. Being called “Baggataway” (Little Brother of the War) described the fast-paced game. Today lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports around the world even being played in Freiburg, far away from its geographical origins.
One can imagine modern lacrosse as a mixture of hockey, handball and even tennis. In a unique way lacrosse combines team spirit, agility and fitness which results in a game with great dynamics.
You catch and throw the ball with your stick and shoot it into the opponent’s goal to score. Twelve women or ten men are split up into goalie, defense, midfield and attack try to only use their sticks to suc-ceed. While women generally play without body contact, men (like in hockey) are fully protected to get in on the action. However, don’t be afraid of that “tough” image. Enjoying exercise and team sports in general are the key to easily getting into a new kind of sport. Official league games as well as several tournaments allow players to engage in lacrosse year round.
Curious? – join the “Pumas Family“
We are very happy to welcome new players of all levels in our practice sessions! Practice (for boys and girls) takes place with our club PTSV Jahn Freiburg every Monday and Wednesday from 8-10pm.
Facebook: Pumas PTSV Jahn Freiburg Lacrosse
Luxemburger Studierendenverein Freiburg (SLUF)
Freiburg Luxemburg Student Organization (SLUF)
SLUF (Studente vu Lëtzebuerg op der Uni Freiburg) is the student association of Luxembourgish students at the University of Freiburg and is currently approximately 45 members strong. It is one of over 30 Luxembourgish student associations in Europe. In 2007 we celebrated the 20-year anniversary of its founding.
The goal of the association is to bring Luxembourgish students together, to have a good time together, and to make friends by way of occasional meetings and activities. But the most important reason for getting together is for older students to share their experiences with beginning students. Some of the important tips and tricks, which guarantee a good start here in Freiburg are to be found on our website (www.sluf.lu). Just as well we’ve got a forum to arrange rides to and from Freiburg on Facebook-page.
In summer we organize barbecues on the lake, dinner on Luxemburg’s national holiday, a sport day and excursions to destinations in the region. We also take part in various tournaments. A particularly impor-tant event is the Tournoi de Noël in Luxemburg.
We are also engaged in student advising. Once a year, we welcome high school students from Luxembourg, introduce them to the city, the university, and student life, and provide them information about their potential course of study. In addition, we represent the University of Freiburg and the Freiburg College of Education at the trade fair ‚Foire de l’étudiant’ in Luxembourg and inform visitors as to the courses of study offered in Freiburg.
During the term we meet every free Tuesday for drinks. The time and place of the next meeting is always on our homepage www.sluf.lu. The homepage also includes further information about our club and contact information.
Phone: +49 (0) 173 7393303
Persische Studierenden-Kulturverein Freiburg (PSKV)
انجمن فرهنگی دانشجويان ايرانی فرايبورگ
Persian Student Cultural Association of Freiburg (PSKV)
Our members include Iranian students, and visiting scholars from various cities and universities in Iran and families who are currently living in Freiburg, whether just temporarily or for an extended period of time.
Any individual who wants to be interested in cultural and educational ex-change and get involved can become a member of the Persian Cultural Association of Freiburg.
The goals of our association are:
- To support Iranians in Freiburg. We provide special support for new students from Iran, including an introduction to german culture, Freiburg and the region,
- to communicate iranian culture, particularly Persian history, lan-guage, geography and so on,
- to present and discuss current social and cultural events in Iran at our regular meetings,
- to introduce films and books on Iran and Germany
Our meeting take place at the International Encounter Center (IBZ), Sund-gauallee 60.
Nematollah Ghadami, E-mail: email@example.com
Maryam Kaghazkanany, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elham Abbasian, E-mail: email@example.com
Populäre-Philosophie-Verein e.V. Freiburg (PPV)
Populäre-Philosophie-Association e.V. Freiburg (PPV)
The Popular-Philosophy-Verein e.V. is based on the idea of concrete und practical Philosophy. The normal Image of philosophy is abstract and far away from our life and world. But today, in such a way the philosophy can no more keep its activity and validity, contrary it must be popular. It is our aim to point out this tendency and develop it. Since most of our members come from abroad, we remain open especially to the international students.
Goals of our Club are:
- To care of international students, who are interested in the idea of popular philosophy
- To integrate new students into the club life by public discussion
- To enable the exchanges of views between international and Ger-man students
- To exercise popular philosophical knowledge and practices
Welcome to our popular philosophical world!
Caution: The Chinese department of our Club organizes twice a month activities in the form of the lecture about philosophical topics that are open to all Chinese-speaking Students who are interested. You can know the current dates, if you just send us an email!
– Scholarship holders of the Baden-Württemberg Foundation
At present there are 24 Regional Chapter (RC) groups worldwide, consisting of students who currently/formerly receive(d) the Baden-Württemberg scholarship, and being voluntarily organized by some of them.
The assignment of the scholarship itself is based on the principle of exchange. That means that the number of students from Baden-Württemberg going abroad is the same as the one, being from abroad and coming to Baden-Württemberg. This reflects the idea of the foundation to support students regardless of their origin and to bring them together.
Therefore, at the RC Freiburg events you will have the chance to get in touch with a lot of different people from all over the world. Maybe there is also a RC group in your hometown, and before leaving for your guest university, you can exchange information with someone from there. Or you meet someone in the RC Freiburg group, who used to be or who will be an exchange student at your home university and you will be able to give him/her some helpful advice.
From October/November 2016 onwards various events are planned for the winter semester, no matter whether is just coming together for chatting, attending talks and workshops about topics such as sustainability, or taking part in cultural events in Freiburg. Even prior to that you can contact someone from the RC Freiburg at any time for any questions, problems, suggestions you might have.
We are looking forward to getting to know you, and to having a great time together in the up-coming semester.
The foundation’s platform: www.bws-world.de
Studenten für Christus
Students for Christ
Real life, real challenges, real faith – in Students for Christ (SfC) we have the goal to meet the challenges of university life in community. Thereby a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the truth of the Bible are our foundation.
We want to find honest, solid answers to the questions of life in general and our subjects and to encourage each other. Our emphasis is to live in reliable relationships and help us grow in personal integrity and in practical love for our neighbors. Thereby we also look at life outside of and after university. Also, we see ourselves as a link that connects students with the various churches in Freiburg.
Everyone is welcome – yes, that includes you! –, independent of your personal religious or ethical convictions. We are interdenominational and seek good, friendly relationships with other like-minded student groups.
We meet regularly near the central campus, but also spontaneously in smaller groups, in homes, for drinks, to play games and to watch movies … This provides the perfect opportunity to get to know each other and start long lasting relationships!
Meeting point: Löwenstrasse 1, on second floor (“Insel”), every Tuesday during semester 7 p.m.-9 p.m.
Studentenmission in Deutschland (SMD)
Student Mission in Germany (SMD)
Currently, we are about 80 students from various fields of study and different denominations who study at the University of Freiburg, the EH, the KH, the University of Education (PH), and the University of Music. What we have in common is our faith in Jesus. He is in the middle of our lives- leading us on our everyday and inspiring our thoughts. We believe that being a Christian is not a tradition, fiction, ideology nor self-deception, but rather: "Thinking - Believing - Experiencing."
You are invited to our group meetings at Löwenstrasse 1 in the rooms of the Salvation Army (Heilsarmee), in the “Bermudadreieck.” We meet on Thursdays every other week at 7pm for dinner, and at 8pm the program starts. So come just as you are, with your doubts, questions or with many years of Christian-based faith. There will be food, music and an interesting, challenging topic at every meeting.
If you are interested or have any questions, feel free to e-mail us or just come join us!
Verband der chinesischen Wissenschaftler und Studierenden (VCWS) in Freiburg e.V.
Association of Chinese Scholars and Students in Freiburg
The Association of Chinese Scholars and Students in Freiburg is a Chinese student group at the University of Freiburg. The aim of the association is to offer help to Chinese students with their problems in studies, life and work in Freiburg. If you have any problems, you are welcome to contact us by email.
Our club would like to organize culture some tours to know Germany in a deep way and sports activities to build our body and build friendships. At the same time we would also like to increase the awareness of Chinese culture in Germany. We regularly organize cultural events, such as Chinese new year celebrations ‘Chun wan’ and the Dragon boat-Festival.
Verein der mongolischen Studierenden und Wissenschaftler in Freiburg
Association of Mongolian Students and Scholars in Freiburg
Our association was founded by Mongolian students and scholars for the following aims:
- Give help and support to Mongolian beginning students
- around studies, e.g. registration and enrollment
- with social matters, e.g. looking for housing, a job and settling in Freiburg
- Offer information
- share useful and helpful information
- exchange of information with other student groups
Interested people who would like to learn more about Mongolian culture, traveling, etc. are most welcome.
Ninjbadgar Khatanbaatar (Chairperson)
Ehrenamtliches „Team- International“
The volunteers from “Team International”
For students from certain countries or speakers of a particular language, contact persons are listed here, who are willing to help.
Our voluntary “team international” is made up people who for various reasons feel connected with the University of Freiburg. All of them study – or have studied – at the university and are happy to answer questions on study and life in Freiburg by email or telephone.
Dr. André Nguemning
Tel.: +49 (0) 178 4954150
James E Njoroge
- "I come from Kenya, live in Germany since 2006 and am both a master graduate at the Faculty of Eco-nomics and Behavioral Sciences and a bachelor student (Second Degree) at the Technical Faculty in Microsystem Engineer-ing. I have been at Albert-Ludwig-Univer-sity of Freiburg since October 2008 and started by working at Studentenwerk Freiburg. Since 2009 I have been working as a student worker at Economics’ Faculty library. I'm willing to offer the following assistance to interna-tional students:
- - Study plan
- Assistance during attendances at public offices
- How to get a student job in Freiburg
- Insurance issues
- Financial planning
- How to find a study group
- How to integrate and exchange with German students
- Organize Excursions and tours"
Dr. Mohammad Salavati
- "Dr. Salavati is initiator of the town twinning between Freiburg and Isfahan (Iran). He also socialised the universities of Isfahan with the University of Freiburg. By now strong parnership emerged, including several projects and exchange programs.
Dr. Salavati is contact person for university members, professors and stu-dents concerning the different exchange programs."
Tel.: +49 (0) 173 8149335
- "My name is Maya and I come from Japan. I studied History and Musicology in the final stage at the University of Freiburg. When I started studying in Freiburg, my German was very poor. That’s why I was looking for help from different people. It made my start much easier! I was and I still am deeply grateful for that.
It is quite helpful if you can ask someone in your mother tongue if you need help and information. I’m here to help you, just contact me. I wish you all the best, a lot of fun and success for your living and studies in Freiburg."
Dr. Olga Keller
Tel./Fax:.+49 (0) 761 841-86
Tel.: +49 (0) 761 286-329