Document Actions

You are here: Home International Student … Full-Time Studies … Transferring Credits from Abroad

Transferring Credits from Abroad

If you have already studied at a university abroad, you can request to have any credits you earned there transferred to the University of Freiburg. Foreign-earned credits can be transferred on the following conditions:

  • The credits must have been earned within the context of a degree program at an accredited higher education institution abroad.
  • The credits must have been earned in the same or a related field of study and must be part of the curriculum of your new course of study at the University of Freiburg.
  • The credits may not be a prerequisite for higher education entrance in Germany (see “Higher Education Entrance Qualification – Indirect higher education entrance qualification,” above)


Credit transfers are evaluated and approved by the department or examination office responsible for your degree program. For more information, please contact a departmental student advisor for your field of study. Contact information is available on the overview of fields.
Special state examination offices are responsible for approving the transfer of foreign-earned credits in the fields Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy. More information and contact addresses are available here:

Once your foreign-earned credits have been officially approved, you may apply for admission to a higher study semester in your degree program rather than as a beginning student.