Document Actions

You are here: Home Student services Matriculation (enrollment)





International Applicants Dentistry 1st semester 01.04. - 11.04.2019
International Applicants
01.04. - 18.04.2019
hochschulstart Dentistry
Best school-leaving certificates and waiting period
14.02. - 25.02.2019
hochschulstart Dentistry
Selection procedure 1st level
11.03. - 18.03.2019
hochschulstart Dentistry
Selection procedure 2nd level
28.03. - 02.04.2019
University beginners 01.02. - 12.04.2019
Higher semesters 01.02. - 12.04.2019
hochschulstart Dentistry 1st clearing procedure 09.04. - 12.04.2019
hochschulstart Dentistry 2nd clearing procedure
23.04. - 26.04.2019

N.B. It is also possible to prepare the matriculation application online before the start of the matriculation period.

Matriculation for German students

In order to take up a course of study at the University of Freiburg, you must be officially matriculated as a student. The application can also be prepared online from this date.

In the following we would like to familiarize you with the registration procedure at the University of Freiburg.

If you have a letter of acceptance from the University of Freiburg, please include a copy of it with your application for matriculation. Please note that your matriculation must be completed before the deadline listed on your letter of acceptance.

If you have been accepted to a Dentistry degree program by the Foundation for University Admissions (, you must apply for matriculation at the Registration Office before the deadline set by It is not enough to simply submit the acceptance stub from

Only valid for German students:
If you have been accepted to a field of study/degree program without admissions restrictions, you may matriculate directly at the university Registration Office until 12th April 2019 without applying beforehand. See the list of fields/degree programs without admissions restrictions.

You may apply for matriculation either in writing or in person. If you are unable to matriculate in person, e.g., if you are not in Freiburg during the matriculation period, you may give a person you trust (e.g., a parent or sibling) a written power of attorney to matriculate in your name. In this case, the power of attorney must be included with your matriculation documents.

You can prepare the matriculation application online using the following link:

Matriculation for International Students

When and where does matriculation take place?

  • You may matriculate from 1st April to 18th April 2019 at the Student Service Center – International Admissions and Services, Sedanstr. 6, 79098 Freiburg, on the first floor. Matriculation for the state examination programs in Dentistry ends on 11 April 2019. The office hours for matriculation are Mon., Tues., Wed., and Thurs. from 9 a.m. to 12 noon and Thurs. from 2 to 4 p.m.
  • Please come to the Student Service Center in person during the matriculation period and bring along all of the documents listed below. There is an information desk for international students at the Student Service Center, where you can receive help on all matters concerning matriculation.

Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Service Center Studium – International Admissions and Services
Sedanstr. 6
79098 Freiburg
Tel.: +49 (0)761 203-4246
Office hours: Mo - Thu 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon and Thu 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Further information for international students can be found in the Guide for International Students

Matriculation at a glance

What documents do you need to bring with you to matriculation?

  • your letter of acceptance
  • a certificate providing evidence of German statutory health insurance coverage or an exemption from the health insurance requirement. Your health insurance card or a general proof of insurance are not enough.
  • a receipt confirming payment of your student fees and administrative fees; you can pay the fees directly with an EC card (with PIN) when you matriculate
  • 1 passport photo
  • if you have already studied in Germany: Your exmatriculation certificate and any certificates you earned from examinations at that university
  • Your matriculation application (full-time or visiting student).
    You can prepare this online. Please log in with the access data from your application and follow the instructions on the website. Alternatively, you can obtain and complete the application in paper form, when you come in to matriculate.
  • If your letter of admission requests other records with your online matriculation application, e.g. a record of participation in a study orientation process or language skills, please bring the original or an officially certified copy with you.
  • if you are a non-EU citizen: your passport with a valid visa

German Language Test (DSH)

  • Your letter of acceptance informs you whether you will have to take the DSH before matriculating. If this is the case, you cannot matriculate until you have received your score for the DSH (at least DSH 2). The University of Freiburg’s Language Teaching Centre (SLI) offers the DSH for a fee of 100 euros. The written part of the test will be held at lecture hall 2001 in Collegiate Building II (KG II) at 9 a.m. on 29 March 2019. The oral part of the test will be held on 3 and 4 April 2019.
  • The SLI is also offering a preparatory course for the DSH from 20 to 28 March 2019. The course fee is 80 euros for students who have received a letter of acceptance from the University of Freiburg.
  • More information

Student orientation test

  • Applicants for undergraduate degree programs at the University of Freiburg (bachelor or state examination) must submit proof that they have taken a test to help them choose the right field of study. This is an online test that you can take from the comfort of your own home. It is not a test you can “fail.” You just need to confirm that you have taken it. To do so, just take the test online and print out the certificate of participation, which is generated automatically when you finish the test. If you didn’t include the certificate of participation with your application documents, please bring it with you when you matriculate.
  • List of available student orientation tests

Visa and residency permit

Now that you have received your letter of acceptance, you can organize the formalities of your trip to Germany. Please apply for a visa at an agency of the German government in your native country. Most applicants receive a “Certificate to Present to Embassies and Consulates of the Federal Republic of Germany” (a “Sichtvermerk”) along with their letter of acceptance to simplify the application process. Applicants from China, Vietnam, and Mongolia must first contact the APS (“Akademische Prüfstelle”).

If you are not an EU citizen, you must apply for a residency permit at the Immigration Office of the City of Freiburg before your visa expires (or, if you live outside of Freiburg, at the immigration office of the “Landratsamt,” i.e., district administrative office). Please make sure to take your passport, your letter of acceptance, passport photos, and evidence of adequate financial means.

A piece of advice from us: Please do not enter Germany with a tourist visa or a Schengen visa for visiting or business purposes!

Upon arrival in Freiburg, you must register as a resident at the Resident Registration Office of the City of Freiburg (or, if you live outside of Freiburg, with the local authorities of your municipality).

Office hours:

Resident Registration Office of the City of Freiburg (Bürgeramt):
Fehrenbachallee 12, 79106 Freiburg, service desk
Monday, Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 7:30 a.m.– 6 p.m.
Saturday by appointment only
Phone: +49 (0)761 201-0,Lde/205252.html

Immigration Office of the City of Freiburg (Ausländerbehörde):
Berliner Allee 1, 79114 Freiburg
Service desk office hours:
Mon., Tues. & Fri.: 7:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m., Wed.: 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Thurs.: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Fri.: 7:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m,Lde/205368.html
Municipal authorities (if you live outside of Freiburg):
Please inquire with the municipal authorities or the town hall of the city in which you live to find out their office hours.
Immigration Office of the District Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald (if you live outside of Freiburg):
Stadtstraße 2, 79104 Freiburg
Monday and Friday: 8 a.m. – 12 noon
Wednesday: 1:30 – 4 p.m.

Health insurance

During the matriculation procedure, we make sure that you have health insurance coverage.

If you are from an EU country or one of several other European countries and have a “European Health Insurance Card” (EHIC), you do not need to apply for additional insurance in Germany. However, you must take your EHIC to a statutory health insurance agency upon arrival in Freiburg and request a certificate confirming that you are exempt from the health insurance requirement. You have to provide this certificate at matriculation.

If you have a private insurance policy in your native country, you must also obtain a certificate from a statutory health insurance agency in Freiburg confirming that you are exempt from the health insurance requirement. You are required to submit this document at matriculation. This also applies to recipients of DAAD scholarships who are insured over the DAAD.

The exemption from the statutory health insurance requirement is binding for your entire course of study in Germany. This means that you may not decide to switch from a private to a statutory health insurance agency during your studies.

Please note: Under German law, holders of the EHIC generally only receive care that is necessary from a medical standpoint in the case of illness.

If you do not have insurance that is valid in Germany, you must take out insurance with a German health insurance company. You will then receive a certificate of insurance, which you have to present when enrolling at the University of Freiburg. The fee for students up to the age of 30 or up to the 14th semester costs approx. 80 Euro per month, after that the fee increases to at least 160 Euro per month.

Overview of the public health insurance companies in Freiburg

Student Fees

You have to pay administrative and student activity fees as well as a student government fee to the amount of 155 euros when you matriculate (short-term students: 148 euros). Erasmus students and students who are participating in an exchange program coordinated by the International Office pay 78 euros per semester.

In addition, the government of the state of Baden-Württemberg has implemented student fees amounting to 1.500 Euro per semester. Affected are students who are not citizens of a membering state of the European Union, or from Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, and who wish to undertake a Bachelor, Master or State Examination degree program. Enclosed is a separate payment request (notification of fees)
Detailed information regarding possibilities for being exempt from paying fees

How can you pay the fees?

  • By bank transfer: If you prepare your matriculation application online, you will be told the fees and information about payment (bank details, reference) during the process. Otherwise, please transfer the fees to the account of the Financial Transactions Office at Baden-Württembergische Bank Stuttgart, IBAN DE71 6005 0101 7438 508768, BIC SOLADEST600. As a payment reference for the bank transfer please enter the following data only: BEW, your application number AND your surname (for example: BEW628475Baker). Please note that your bank might charge you international transfer fees which have to be covered by you.
  • with an EC card from a German Bank account (girocard) directly when you matriculate. (You need a PIN for your card!)
  • at the university’s Financial Transactions Office (“Unikasse“) in the administrative building (Fahnenbergplatz, 79098 Freiburg, 1st floor, room 01008); office hours during the matriculation period: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:45 to 11:45 a.m. ( ERASMUS-Students should pay via EC card.

Until when do you have to pay the fees?

  • You have to pay the fees upon matriculation at the latest.

Living in Freiburg

In contrast to many other countries, you must find a place to live on your own if you want to study in Freiburg. This is not always easy at the start of the semester, so we recommend beginning your search as early as you can. Several ways to find a room or apartment are through classified ads, the apartment search service offered by the Studierendenwerk, or the private apartment database offered by the International Office:

In addition, you can apply to the Studierendenwerk for a room at a student dormitory. For more information, please visit the Studierendenwerk website

Courses and Departmental Academic Advising

In the 2018 summer term, courses (e.g., lectures, seminars, exercise courses) normally begin on 16 April 2018. You need to decide which courses you wish to take in your first semester no later than one week before the beginning of the teaching period. You can find out what courses are being offered in the university’s course catalog. To plan your schedule for the semester, we recommend contacting a departmental academic advisor for your field or fields of study. Information on departmental academic advising for all fields of study is available on the Student Portal. The departmental academic advisors can also tell you how to register for the courses you wish to take.

Almost all departments hold special introductory courses for new students. We strongly recommend that you take these courses!

If you are a short-term student or an exchange student (non-degree-seeking), please contact the international and Erasmus student representative at your department or your program coordinator for information on learning agreements and suitable courses.

The Welcome Days from the International office take place before the beginning of Lectures on 12 and on 19 April 2019. We recommend that all students new to the University take part in the welcome days.

Prepare matriculation application online

You have the option of preparing the matriculation application online. This simplifies the recording and processing of the necessary data. This option is only possible with the access data from your application if you submitted it directly to the University of Freiburg online. (Exceptions: see below)

Please log in to with the access data from your online application.

  • After logging-in, your applications to study at Freiburg Uni will be shown with current status. You can continue the matriculation process for applications for which you have received a letter of admission or a valid offer of admission.
  • The system takes you through the matriculation application step-by-step.
  • Once you have input all the data, you will receive the completed matriculation application as a PDF. Please print out the application, sign it, and submit the document and all other necessary documentation for matriculation.
  • Your printed application will list the other documents or records that are needed for matriculation. Please read the application carefully and submit the full documentation as listed for matriculation.
  • You can find more information about the procedure under Matriculation for German students and/or Matriculation for international students. (see above)

Exceptions from matriculation application online:

  • For the 1st subject semester in Dental Medicine: it is not yet possible to prepare the application online. Please download the documents. You can find more information under Matriculation and/or Matriculation for international students.
  • For basic degree programs without special admission requirements (free admission): it is not yet possible to prepare the application online. Please download the documents. You can find more information under Matriculation and/or Matriculation for international students.
  • For Master’s degree programs where you applied directly to the department: it is only possible for German applicants to prepare the application online (you can find the access data in your letter of admission). International applicants please download the documents. You can find more information under Matriculation for international students.
  • For the Master of Education: Please download the documents.
  • Students already matriculated at the University of Freiburg: please transcribe details during the registration period.
    Application form

Application for Matriculation and leaflets

Additional information

Cancellation of Matriculation

Download Application for Cancellation of Matriculation

Admissions and Matriculation Regulations

Admissions and matriculation regulations [de]