Document Actions

You are here: Home Application International Student … Full-Time Studies

Full-Time Studies


Prospective international student of the University of Freiburg can apply online for admission to undergraduate degree programs (bachelor, state examination) during the application period. Please consult the list of degree programs offered at the University of Freiburg. The application is made via document upload. Please apply via the application portal and follow the given instructions. The application portal is open from June 1st for the winter semester, and from December 1st for the summer semester. A list of all necessary supporting documents is also available on our "checklist for applications" (see below).

Please note: Applications for the courses of study in human medicine, dentistry and pharmacy are not submitted via Hochschulstart, but directly via the application portal of the University of Freiburg



University Entrance Qualification refers to the level of general education required for enrollment at a university or other institution of higher education in Germany. International applicants to undergraduate degree programs (bachelor or state examination) at universities in Germany need to provide evidence that they possess the necessary qualification for higher education entrance just like German applicants. In Germany this qualification is called the “Abitur.” A secondary school leaving certificate earned in a European Union member state is generally accepted as University Entrance Qualification in Germany.

There are three different types of University Entrance Qualification in Germany. Which one you have depends on what kind of secondary school leaving certificate you earned:

  • Direct general University Entrance Qualification: International applicants whose secondary school leaving certificate is equivalent to the German Abitur may apply directly for admission to a full degree program in Germany. As a rule, this is also true of applicants who have already earned an initial degree (e.g., bachelor) from an accredited higher education institution abroad.
  • Direct field-restricted University Entrance Qualification: As a rule, international applicants with a recognized secondary school leaving certificate that is restricted to specific fields of study or vocational areas may only select fields of study from those areas (e.g., only humanities or only natural sciences). They may apply directly for admission to a degree program in any of these fields of study.
  • Indirect University Entrance Qualification: International applicants whose school leaving certificate is not equivalent to the German Abitur may still be eligible for higher education entrance in Germany if they fulfill one of the two following preconditions:
    • In addition to your school leaving certificate, you provide evidence of having attended an accredited higher education institution abroad. The necessary length of your studies abroad depends on what kind of school leaving certificate you have.
    • In addition to your school leaving certificate, you take a one-year preparatory course at a Studienkolleg in Germany and pass the assessment examination (see the section “Studienkolleg” below for more details).

      Both of these paths lead to field-restricted University Entrance Qualification in Germany. The fields of study you are then qualified to enroll in depend on your field of study abroad or your main subject at the Studienkolleg.

The basis for evaluating international school leaving certificates and degrees in Germany is the database of the Standing Conference of the State Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (Anabin) [de], which is administered by the Central Office for Foreign Education Systems (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen - ZAB) [de] International applicants can check for themselves on this database whether their school leaving certificate or degree earned abroad qualifies them for higher education entrance in Germany. As it is only available in German, please consult the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) database for more information in English.

For information on the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB Diploma), please enter "International Baccalaureate" in the country search under school qualifications in Anabin and read the information in the agreement carefully. The agreement that was valid at the time of entry into the IB programme applies in each case.

Please note that we cannot evaluate your school leaving certificate or degree until you have submitted your application to the University of Freiburg with all of the necessary supporting documents. It is not possible to have your educational records evaluated before applying.

You need a very good knowledge of German for a successful Bachelor's or Staatsexamen degree programme. With the exception of the Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the language of instruction in the undergraduate degree programmes is always German.

For Master's degree programmes, other language requirements apply in some cases, which can be found in the respective admission regulations or selection statutes. Please contact the Master's programme directly for more information. Here you will find Master's degree programmes taught in English.

For an undergraduate degree (Bachelor or Staatsexamen) at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg you need one of the following language certificates:

  • German Language Examination for University Admission (DSH) with the result DSH-2 or -3. This examination is held at the Language Teaching Institute of the Albert Ludwigs University in Freiburg and comprises a written and an oral part.
  • Test of German as a foreign language (TestDaF), with the result level 4 or 5 (TDN 4 or 5) in all four examination areas
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C2
  • German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany - Level II (DSD II) with 4xC1 or 3xC1 and 1xB2
  • telc Deutsch C1 University
  • German-language secondary school leaving certificate (e.g. Abitur, Matura, etc.)
  • Further exceptions can be found here, on pages 5 and 6.


If you do not have one of these language certificates at the time of application, you can submit the following certificates:

  • DSH 1 or 
  • TestDaF with at least 3 points in all test areas or 
  • Certificate of attendance of a C1 course or 
  • Proof of German language skills at level C1 (Common European Framework of Reference).

One of the above-mentioned language examinations must be submitted by the time of enrolment.


The above-mentioned C1 language certificates must be submitted by the time of application for a study place in the subjects of human medicine, dentistry and pharmacy.

The fields of studies listed below have additional admission requirements, for example language skills in other languages, passing an entrance exam or an interview. You will find further information regarding the specific requirements by clicking on the website of the individual field. There, you will also be able to see whether the field has free or restricted admission.

These additional requirements apply to EU, EEA, as well as for international (non-EU) applicants.


* Please note: In these fields of study you will have to register for the entrance exam/interview yourself and you will not be sent an invitation reminding you to do so.

In many fields of study the number of applications is greater than the number of available spaces. Such fields have restrictive admissions (numerus clausus). In fields of study with restrictive admissions, study spaces for (non-EU) international applicants are allocated according to a quota (8% in all fields of study with admissions restrictions and 5% in the fields Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy).
To find out whether your field of study has restrictive admissions, please consult the overview of fields.

For undergraduate programs, applications for higher semesters and Master's programs, you can submit a maximum of three applications each to programs (fields of studies) that have restricted admission. Applications for programs without admission restrictions (open admission) are not subject to this restriction.

Please also include confirmation that you have participated in a student orientation procedure with your application for admission. A student orientation procedure is a self test that does not have any influence on the success of your application. It provides orientation for prospective students and helps them to find the right field of study.
Click on this link for a list of student orientation procedures approved by the University of Freiburg:

For international applicants, we recommend the Test for Academic Studies (read more below about TestAS). You can also use the University of Freiburg’s Online Study-Choice Assistants (OSAs) to find the right field of study for you. The site also includes helpful videos, links, and information on student orientation.

Applying for the Studienkolleg

International applicants whose higher education entrance qualification is not equivalent to the German Abitur can take the “Examination for the Assessment of University Entrance Qualification” („Feststellungsprüfung“ [de]), if this is recommended by the ZAB. You will receive the opportunity to prepare for your course of study in a one-year preparatory course at the Studienkolleg in Heidelberg. It is not possible to register directly for admission to the Studienkolleg in Heidelberg. Please apply from 01 June to 15 July resp. from 01 December to 15 January via the online application portal of the University of Freiburg for the degree "Feststellungsprüfung". The subject "Studienkolleg" and the 1st semester are automatically selected. In a second step, you must then upload your language certificate, your university entrance qualification (high school diploma), your letter of motivation and your curriculum vitae at the appropriate places. You must then select the desired course at the Studienkolleg and name your future course of study at the University of Freiburg. The courses at the Studienkolleg as well as the individual degree programmes at the University of Freiburg are linked in the online application portal.

Please note: An application to the Studienkolleg via an application for a higher semester is not possible.


You have already attended the Studienkolleg and passed the Feststellungsprüfung?

  • We accept the Feststellungsprüfung from all Studienkollegs that are part of the Consortium of German Studienkollegs.
  • A Feststellungsprüfung completed at a Studienkolleg not on the above list will only be accepted in specific individual cases.
  • A Feststellungsprüfung completed at a Studienkolleg connected to a University of Applied Sciences only leads to a university entrance qualification for Universities of Applied Sciences, and can therefore not be accepted by the University of Freiburg.
  • During the application process, please upload both your school education certificates as well as your Feststellungsprüfung.

The result of TestAS is only taken into consideration in the selection processes for the programs of Medicine and Dentistry. For all other programs, the TestAS can be uploaded in place of the Study Orientation Procedure during the application, but does not have any influence on the selection process or allocation of study places

Visit to find out when and how you can take TestAS.

Advantages for your application at the University of Freiburg:

  • Investing the time and effort to take TestAS will be regarded as an important criterion by the selection committee, because it speaks for your motivation to study at the University of Freiburg! A good score on the test also demonstrates that you have the necessary skills for a course of study in Germany.
  • The test familiarizes you with the requirements of a course of study in Germany and helps you to better evaluate yourself and your abilities. In addition, you receive comprehensive feedback after completing the test and are shown where you stand in comparison to other applicants.
  • TestAS is also recognized as a student orientation procedure at the University of Freiburg (for more information, see “Student Orientation Procedures” above).

Important information:

  • Taking TestAS is voluntary for prospective students of the University of Freiburg! You can also decide for yourself whether or not you wish your score to be submitted to the University of Freiburg.
  • We do not recommend that you participate in a language screening (onDaF, online placement test for German as a foreign language) if you are only applying for a study space at the University of Freiburg with TestAS.
  • The test does not take the place of other prerequisites for admission to studies at the University of Freiburg, such as language certificates or higher education entrance qualification.
  • Applicants to master’s programs, short-term studies (free movers, exchange students), and doctoral programs do not need to take TestAS.

If you have already studied at a university abroad, you can request to have any credits you earned there transferred to the University of Freiburg. Foreign-earned credits can be transferred on the following conditions:

  • The credits must have been earned within the context of a degree program at an accredited higher education institution abroad.
  • The credits must have been earned in the same or a related field of study and must be part of the curriculum of your new course of study at the University of Freiburg.
  • The credits may not be a prerequisite for higher education entrance in Germany (see “Higher Education Entrance Qualification – Indirect higher education entrance qualification,” above)


The respective department or the respective examination office is responsible for the acceptance of study achievements.

Our leaflet explains what an official certification must look like in order to be accepted when applying for a place to study.