Document Actions

You are here: Home Counseling Scholarship Advising Scholarship Advising (Outgoing)

Scholarship Advising (Outgoing)


Are you interested in studying, researching, teaching, attending a summer school, completing an internship, or taking a language course abroad? These activities often involve additional expenses. Besides any required tuition fees, airfare, and other travel costs, the cost of living in your host country may be higher than in Germany, or you might need to shoulder the cost of extra course fees, textbooks, a visa, additional insurance, placement agencies, and much more.

Scholarships are available for many types of stays abroad, and it’s wise to gather information about them early on. Several scholarships offered by organizations abroad can also provide valuable support. In addition, students receiving funding for their studies in Germany from an organization for the promotion of gifted persons can often receive extra funding for periods of study abroad.


Who can use the advising service?

The International Office’s scholarship advising service is intended for University of Freiburg students planning a stay abroad during their studies. If you wish to complete an entire undergraduate degree program abroad or are planning a stay abroad after completing your degree, we can only give you tips on how to prepare for and plan your stay abroad and pass on relevant information sources to you.

What topics does the advising cover?

  • overview of scholarships and other funding for stays abroad (especially DAAD, BW-Stipendium, ERASMUS, Fulbright, international state graduate funding (BAFöG), as well as scholarships for specific countries and fields of study and scholarships/funding for students with special needs like disabilities, chronic illnesses, children, etc.)
  • tuition waiver for exchange students: ERASMUS, faculty or university exchange programs (University of Freiburg Global Exchange)
  • the DAAD-PROMOS and Baden-Württemberg-Stipendium scholarship programs (advising and placement)
  • studying with Eucor

How can I receive advising?

An advising session on academic stays abroad at the International Office can provide you with an initial overview of what funding options are available for your desired stay abroad and where you can find more information on them. You can either drop by without an appointment on Thursdays from 9 to 11:30 a.m. or request an appointment by e-mail (, preferably on Tuesdays from 1:30 to 4 p.m.
Location: Student Service Center (SCS), Sedanstr. 6, 79098 Freiburg, 2nd floor, room 02 023.

Students interested in the DAAD-PROMOS or Baden-Württemberg-Stipendium scholarship programs may come by for advising without an appointment each Monday during the semester from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. During semester breaks, please send an e-mail to the following addresses to request an appointment: (DAAD-PROMOS) and (Baden-Württemberg-Stipendium).
Location: Student Service Center (SCS), Sedanstr. 6, 79098 Freiburg, 2nd floor, room 02 029.

If you have questions on Fulbright scholarships for the USA, please contact Mareen Kästner directly.

Would you like to study or complete an internship in another European country? Then please contact the ERASMUS advisor at your faculty or the EU Office.
Location: Student Service Center (SCS), Sedanstr. 6, 79098 Freiburg, 2nd floor, room 02 024.