Document Actions

You are here: Home Exchange Programs and … Freiburg Global Exchange During the studies

During the studies



Application/ Renewing your residency permit

Please observe that the residence permits which you are issued are usually temporary. For this reason please apply for the extension of your residence permit with sufficient time to spare. If the deadline is not abided by, there is a risk that the alien's department will have to make a report to the public prosecutor.
The extension of the residence permit is made by the Alien's Department of the City of Freiburg, Berliner Allee 1, 79114 Freiburg i.Br., provided you live in Freiburg. If you live outside of Freiburg, the Landratsamt of the respective district is responsible.
A fee is charged for the extension. Certification of enrollment (Studienbescheinigung) from the university is to be provided.

Semester re-registration

Students who are already enrolled at the University of Freiburg and wish to continue studying have to renew their enrollment by transferring the social and administrative fee during the re-registration periods. Payment is made by bank transfer. It is also possible to complete the renewal of enrolment online with direct debit.
Further information

Deadline for re-registration
for the summer term: 15th January to 15th February
for the winter term: 1st June to 15th August

Cross-border studies in Freiburg, EUCOR

European Confederation of Universities on the Upper Rhine (Eucor)
The aim of Eucor is cooperation in research in teaching through the exchange of students and lecturers, joint degrees and research programmes as well as mutual recognition of studies. The various activities are coordinated by a central Eucor-secretariat in Strasbourg.

Members of the European Confederation of Universities on the Upper Rhine (Eucor) are the universities:

  • Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg i. Br.
  • University of Basel
  • Université de Strasbourg
  • University Fridericiana, Karlsruhe
  • Université de Haute Alsace, Mulhouse

Students who are enrolled at one of the five Eucor universities have the same user’s rights and benefits as regular students at those universities. Included is the participation in courses without fees being incurred. Through transnational study, students can engage in supplementary study at one of the other Eucor universities. At the same time, experience in a foreign country can also be gained in a completely uncomplicated manner, while languages skills can be improved.

You will find further information and links to the Eucor partner universities on the Freiburg Eucor website and on the official Eucor-website (in German and French only).

Language and culture courses

Preparatory language courses
You will find information on preparatory intensive language courses in March, August and September of the Language Teaching Centre (SLI).

Language and Culture Semester Courses from the SLI
During the semester the Language Teaching Centre (SLI) and the International Office of the University of Freiburg offer free language and culture courses for international students participating in the University of Freiburg Global Exchange.
ERASMUS and Faculty Exchanges are not eligible.

Every exchange student can participate in ONE language course and in max. 3 culture seminars, taking into consideration the language level requirements and the maximum number of participants. Eight classes from niveau A2 to B2 are offered. Please consider the respective language level requirements.

This offer is only available temporarily; the course description and registration information can be found here. Please enter the name of your home university in the field "Company" in the login window and "tick" IO (International Office).

Alternatives for language levels below A2 are the semester evening courses at the SLI which are subject to fee. You will find further information here. Further options to learn German are listed in the Welcome-Guide for international Students in the chapter "Where can I improve my German and other foreign languages?"


Module: Inter-cultural skills for international students: guidepost for studying in Germany

The module from the Language Teaching Centre of the University of Freiburg wants to promote the competence to name different cultural particularities and differences and to actively deal with with them. The participants gain a feeling of safety and intercultural competence in their contact with alient cultures and intercultural conflict situations as well as in their every-day life in Germany and other countries.
You can gain 3 ECTS-credits from that module (75 working hours).

You will find the dates and information for the registration after choosing the correct module name here.

Module: Foundations of scientific writing for international students
International students get to know the different text styles on German universities in this module; the emphasis lies on assignments (Hausarbeit). They will practise to portion complex writing exercises into subparts and to handle them in an individual time frame. Furthermore they get tips and tricks how to solve writing problems and how to support each other in doing so. The module gives 4 ECTS-credits (100 working hours)

You will find the dates and information for the registration after choosing the correct module name here.

If you have any questions regarding the mentioned modules please contact the Center for Key Qualifications (ZfS).

The Studienbegleitprogramm Baden-Württemberg (STUBE-BW)
STUBE-Baden-Württemberg is a Student Program for students from Africa, Asia and Latin America. STUBE is a development-oriented education programm and offers seminars, workshops and other activities related to development issues. STUBE seminars and activities take place mainly during weekends. STUBE seminars supplement the professional university-studies with themes and issues related to social, economic and cultural situations in the home-countries of the students from Africa, Asia and Latin America.

The STUBE-program is practice-oriented, interdisciplinary and intercultural.

You will find information about STUBE-Baden-Württemberg and its program of the current semester here.


Germany has laws on how many hours students can work. The regulations differ depending on your nationality. More information can be found here.

Students from the European Union and the EEA stand practically on equal terms with German students, i.e. they are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during lecture time. Please note that you have to apply for German health insurance in that case.

Students who do not come from the European Union or EEA are allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days in a year. To do this they do not need authorisation from the Employment Acency, i.e. the German authorities. If they want to work more than 120 full or 240 half days they need the approval of the Employment Agency and the Aliens Department.

Changing Fields

International Students who are already enrolled at the University of Freiburg and wish to change their field or course of study can do so at International Admissions and Services (IAS). The application form and more information can be found here.

When changing fields to a field without particular admission requiremens (restriction-free) you need to re-register and hand in the application form for a change of fields at IAS during the re-registration period.

When changing fields to an admission-restricted field and/or a field with particuar admission requirements you have to apply before the deadline for the new field of study. Only if you received a letter of admission you can implement the change of fields at IAS during the enrollment deadline which is mentioned on the letter of admission.

According to § 60 Abs. 2 Nr. 5 of the Landeshochschulgesetzes, every applicant who wants to change her/his course of study in the third semester or later, has to bring written proof of course counseling on the desired field of study. Course counseling is a responsibility of the faculty.

Leaves of absence

Students who would like to take a leave of absence can do so within the deadline for renewal of enrolment at International Admissions and Services (IAS). Leave is generally only possible for two semesters and can only take place due to specific reasons (for example, studies at a foreign university, sickness, etc).

Students taking a leave of absence stay enrolled and have to pay semester fees and the student contribution. The basic fee for the “SemesterTicket” are not demanded (you can’t get a SemesterTicket in this time).
Your health insurance cover remains valid. Leave is generally not counted as subject-related semesters but as university semesters.

Specifics concerning enrolment, changing course of study, etc are governed by the “Zulassungs- und Immatrikulationsordnung” of the University of Freiburg.

Appointments and special indications for the respective semester will be made known through postings or can be read here.


You might also be interested in: Exchange at the University of Freiburg |  Application |  Arrival / Beginning |  Leaving